The beginning of a new year means that resolutions are top of mind. Resolutions can be anything to help you lead a happier, healthier and more fulfilled life. As you’re considering the kinds of goals and resolutions you want to focus on in the new year, here is a list of ideas we have come up with at Ventana by Buckner.
10 New Year’s Resolutions for Seniors
- Keep Your Body Moving The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services recommends that adults should do at least 150 minutes a week of moderate-intensity or 75 minutes a week of vigorous-intensity aerobic physical activity. If a chronic condition inhibits this goal, you should try to be as physically active as your abilities and conditions allow. And you don’t necessarily have to go to the gym every day to experience physical benefits – sometimes, all it takes is incorporating more activity in your lifestyle, such as taking the stairs or walking to and from rooms of your home as you clean.
- Revive an Old Hobby Has the guitar that’s been sitting in the corner of your room collecting dust? Is your craft station not getting as much attention as it used to? Your retirement years gives you more time to explore your passions and interests. Dust off that guitar, pull out your craft station and immerse yourself in your favorite hobbies and activities.
- Get a Good Night’s Rest Restful sleep is important at any age, and contrary to popular belief, seniors don’t need less sleep than the average person. In fact, all adults should aim for seven to nine hours of sleep every night. Develop your own bedtime routine and make a good night’s rest a priority.
- Expand Your Mind By taking part in continuing education opportunities and mentally engaging activities, you’re actually exercising your brain and increasing brain health. You can expand your mind by participating in hobbies like reading, learning a new recipe, taking an online education course or playing games such as Sudoku or chess.
- Share Memories Your life experience is something unique that should be treasured. Make a resolution to memorialize some of these memories by sharing your story with others. You can do this by sharing stories with family and friends, writing in a journal or even recording videos of some of your favorite memories throughout your life.
- Make Necessary Appointments At the beginning of each year, sit down and consider the regular appointments you should schedule and attend. Whether they be doctor appointments, meetings with your financial analyst or oil changes for your car, tentatively schedule them in a planner to ensure you devote the necessary time for these appointments.
- Keep in Touch with Friends and FamilySocialization and connecting with your surrounding community are vital for overall wellbeing. Take time out of your day to have a conversation with a loved one over a meal or cup of coffee. Even if meeting in person isn’t possible, try scheduling regular phone calls or video chats to keep in touch with friends and family.
- Focus on a Healthy Diet A healthy diet allows your body to perform its best. Be sure your meals and snacks focus on fruits, vegetables, lean protein, low-fat dairy and whole grains to receive the proper vitamins and minerals your body needs. And a healthy diet doesn’t just include the food you eat – also make sure you’re staying properly hydrated, which is important for overall health and to feel your best.
- Try Something New There’s no time like the present – this year, try something that may be a bit out of your comfort zone. This could be something as simple as reading a new book or making a new friend, or could be as adventurous as visiting a city you’ve never been to before.
- Make Time for Yourself Making time for yourself isn’t selfish – in fact, it helps to improve your wellbeing and allows you to connect with your innermost thoughts and feelings. Carve time out of your day to meditate, take part in a favorite activity or just sit and relax.
Start Your Year on the Right Foot by Choosing Ventana by Buckner
If one of your resolutions for the new year is to find a vibrant living space to enjoy your retirement years, you’re in luck! At Ventana by Buckner, our Members have all they need to experience a happy, comfortable retirement.
As a full-service Life Plan Community, Ventana offers a premier senior lifestyle in Dallas and encourages Members to take an active role in planning for the rest of their lives. If you’re searching for a senior living community, Ventana offers fabulous features and amenities, a luxury lifestyle and countless health and wellness services – all at an incredible value you won’t find anywhere else.
If you’d like to schedule an information session, apply for residence or simply ask some questions to our team, don’t hesitate to get in touch! We’re always available to assist in researching and evaluating your options. You can also click on this link to schedule your personal tour of our community.