Did you know that an active lifestyle can add years to your life? It’s true! Studies have found that staying physically active during periods of leisure time is associated with a longer life expectancy. This is, in part, due to maintaining weight, lowering blood pressure, strengthening bones, improving flexibility and much more. Staying active doesn’t necessarily mean you have to go to the gym every day to run and lift weights. An active lifestyle simply means you introduce physical activity throughout your daily routine, and that can include anything that gets you up and moving. Taking the stairs instead of the elevator or riding your bike to run an errand are both examples of active lifestyle activities. At Ventana by Buckner, we believe an active lifestyle is vital during your retirement years to maintain your health and wellness. Keep reading for ways you can live a more active lifestyle.
8 Tips to an Active Senior Lifestyle
- Take it slow. If you aren’t as used to staying active in your daily routine, be sure to introduce activity slowly. This will help your body grow accustomed to increased movement and prevent strain or injury. Slowly build up physical activity by increasing how often and how long you stay active every few weeks.
- Make a daily effort. Keeping an active lifestyle takes effort every single day. However, this doesn’t have to be anything big – in fact, it’s better to do a little than nothing at all. For example, take a walk around your home every 30 minutes to get your blood going and start doing short yoga or cardio videos you can find online. Make active choices throughout your day to get as much physical activity as you are able to do in a safe manor.
- Set a goal. Setting goals give you motivation to reach tangible accomplishments you set for yourself. While each individual’s goals are unique, a standard one for physical activity is to exercise for about 30 minutes a day. Harvard School of Public Health even notes that three 10-minute sessions for physical activity are just as impactful as one 30-minute session, so you can break up your active time as need be.
- Track your progress. Whether it be marking the days on a calendar or investing in a fitness tracker like a Fitbit, track your progress. This can help you visually show your progress and keep track of the steps you’re making towards your goals.
- Mix it up. Doing the same routine every day can get boring, so mix it up. Maybe one day a week you swim laps in the pool, go on a walk around your neighborhood or visit the gym to work on strength training. Fitness classes at your gym also allow for variety, letting you switch up your routine. Varying your physical activities can prevent burnout and keep you on track to reaching your goals.
- Partner with a friend. Everything is better with a friend, and maintaining an active lifestyle is no exception. Grab a loved one or friend and head to a fun, active class you’ve been wanting to try or walk around a local shopping mall you’ve been wanting to explore. You could even start a friendly competition to see who can reach their activity goals each day.
- Find ways to stay active while indoors. Physical activity doesn’t necessarily need to be done outside. Experience physical activity in your own home by walking up and down the stairs, finding a fitness video online or even turning up the music to dance and move your body. There are plenty of ways for you to stay active, even if you can’t go out.
- Have fun! While the goal is of course to live a healthy lifestyle, you also want to have fun while staying active. You’re not limited to structured workouts or going to the gym – an active lifestyle is all about finding ways to fit fitness and activity into your whole day.
We Encourage a Healthy and Active Lifestyle for Seniors at Ventana by Buckner
Ventana by Buckner is proud to offer an active senior living lifestyle. Services and amenities offered include wellness programs for Members to enjoy, including fitness classes in our state-of-the-art fitness center. There’s always something to do within our community, and your neighbors will quickly become good friends to share in exciting activities with. And with comfortable, spacious apartments, you’ll find it easy to call Ventana your new home where you can thrive and maintain your active, independent lifestyle. If you’d like to schedule an information session, apply for residence or simply ask some questions to our team, don’t hesitate to get in touch! We’re always available to assist in researching and evaluating your options. You can also click on this link to schedule your personal tour of our community.