PROMISES MADE. PROMISES KEPT.
Standing behind every promise made by Ventana by Buckner is Buckner Retirement Services, the largest nonprofit senior living provider in Texas¹. With six communities across the state of Texas, Buckner has understood and served the needs of seniors and their families since 1954. And standing behind Buckner Retirement Services and Ventana by Buckner is Buckner International, a Christ-centered organization delivering redemptive ministry to the most vulnerable in our communities since 1879. So from the Buckner International Board of Trustees to the team serving seniors at Ventana – and everyone in between – we believe in delivering on our promises.
STRONGER THAN EVER.
Senior housing occupancy rates in the Dallas markets are in the process of making an unprecedented return from the effects felt industry-wide due to COVID-19. In January, the Ziegler Investment Banking newsletter reported that life plan communities had seen an occupancy increase of 1.4% from a pandemic low in the first two quarters of 2021 according to data from the National Investment Center for Seniors Housing and Care. And that nonprofit communities like Ventana also experienced higher occupancy than for-profit communities. The resiliency of our industry as a whole as well as the thoughtful and strategic planning of Buckner Retirement Services, have positioned Ventana and its Members in a strong and stable position as we move forward.
Buckner Retirement Services serves more than 1,800 residents and Members (as of 3/22).
Buckner Retirement Services, Inc. Fitch Rating of A (as of 10/21).
Buckner Retirement Services, Inc. Director of Health Services, Cheryl Johnson was awarded the 2021 Dr. Herbert Shore Outstanding Mentor award from LeadingAge.
WHAT TO LOOK FOR WHEN CHOOSING A SENIOR LIVING COMMUNITY
For both older adults and their family members, the process of selecting a senior living community should be the product of a thorough and informative process. In many cases, families find that they are drawn closer through the experience, sharing information and opinions they might not have felt comfortable discussing with one another in years prior. So, what should you look for?
- Learn about the different senior living options available. Research the difference between rental communities and entrance fee communities. Make sure you understand what levels of service are available at the communities you are researching. Not all communities offer independent living, assisted living, memory care, skilled nursing and rehabilitation like Ventana.
- Visit the community’s marketing department. Take the tour. Learn about the organization and the management. Do they have a track record of success? Ask about their menus and programming schedules. Study floor plans and models. Attend a community event to meet others who are making the same search; share your impressions and ask for theirs.
- Learn why people choose life care communities. From the community itself, to access to future healthcare at a predictable cost, to the protection of a financial legacy, there are many reasons why many seniors choose a life care community like Ventana. Ask to speak to current residents about their experiences and what lead them to choosing life care.
- Ask the tough questions. Ask about the financial strength of the organization and its current occupancy and occupancy trends. If occupancy is low, ask why. Ask to see financial reports, licensing and inspection reports and any client investigations in the recent past. Organizations who are confident in their stability and credibility in the market will openly share.
- Do your research. Research communities online. Find out if there have been negative news reports and online reviews. Pay attention to the way that communities respond to tough conversations.
- Find out if the community is for-profit or not-for-profit. The two different types of communities can have different goals. Not-for-profit communities like Ventana tend to have more conservative annual fee increases, lower staff turnover and reinvest revenue back into the community.
- Take a close look at the contract. Make sure you understand exactly what it does and does not cover. Ask “what if” questions to be sure you have a clear picture of how the community might address changes to your health or circumstances over time.
In the end, the right community for you should make you feel at home – safe and secure. You should feel welcomed by staff, interested in connecting with neighbors, excited about the lifestyle amenities and feel like this space could be your home for many years to come.
FOUNDED IN FAITH. GUIDED BY COMPASSION. TEMPERED BY EXPERIENCE.
Founded in 1879, Buckner International is dedicated to meeting the needs of vulnerable children and senior adults. Buckner opened its first senior living community in 1954. Since then, the organization has continued to expand. Now, Buckner Retirement Services, Inc. is the largest non-for-profit senior living organization in Texas, operating six continuing care retirement communities throughout the state.
LEARN MORE ABOUT VENTANA BY BUCKNER
Backed by a world-class provider of senior living and lead by an industry leading executive director, the Ventana by Buckner team is always available to answer questions to help calm the concerns or fears of those looking to make a move to our community. We understand that choosing to move from your loved and well-appointed home is not a decision to be made lightly. That’s why we’re with you every step of the way, providing information, answering any and all questions, connecting you with other resources for information and even asking a few questions of our own to make sure we are providing the best experience. Call 844.785.0871 to schedule a tour of Ventana today.
¹Per the LeadingAge Ziegler 200 (LZ 200) report, Oct. 2021.