Today’s seniors live longer, lead more active lives, and need plenty of exercise to stay healthy. Staying active as a senior is one of the best ways of naturally slowing the effects of aging. Active seniors can maintain their independence longer and experience fewer medical issues due to their active lifestyle and healthy eating.
Ventana is a full-service senior living community located in a beautiful high-rise facility close to downtown Dallas. Our VentanaFit program includes water and land-based fitness classes, wellness programs designed by Cooper Aerobics, and state-of-the-art gym equipment for those who like to work out independently. We welcome seniors of all activity levels and can create a tailored program to increase strength and flexibility, reduce falls, and make standing up much more accessible.
The Importance of Staying Active as a Senior
Plenty of evidence points to the benefits of regular exercise for any age, but especially for seniors whose muscles can begin to atrophy from lack of use. Seniors who lead a more active lifestyle can delay the effects of muscular atrophy and continue to live independently.
Learning the importance of senior fitness activities and what exercises you enjoy most can simplify building a regular exercise program. Plus, exercising with friends can make the experience more fun and keep everyone in the group motivated to keep working out. Some of the best exercises that help seniors stay active include:
- Water aerobics
- Strength and balancing training
- Tai chi
- Chair aerobics
Staying active as a senior is extremely important, and Ventana can assist you in creating a workout routine that is perfect for your activity level. Our VentanaFit program is just one of the beneficial services we provide our residents so they can stay healthy and get the most out of their retirement.
The Benefits of Being Active as a Senior
There are several benefits for seniors who lead an active lifestyle and work out regularly. There are obvious physical benefits, as it strengthens muscles and improves flexibility, but it also comes with mental health benefits and can significantly improve seniors’ moods.
Here are just some of the benefits of being active as a senior:
- Reduces the risks of falls – Falling is a significant concern for seniors as bones lose density with age. Strong muscles and joints protect bones from damage and make preventing and recovering from falling easier.
- Lead a more independent life – Staying fit allows you to continue caring for yourself and your partner with zero to minimal assistance. It reduces the need for assistance with going to the bathroom, dressing and bathing, cooking and cleaning, and other daily activities.
- Socializing – Group exercise programs promote comradery and can spark your competitive spirit. An excellent exercise for seniors is taking a brisk walk outdoors with friends. You get a healthy dose of sunshine (Vitamin D), good workouts, and great conversations.
- Boosts immune system – Studies have shown that moderate exercise programs can protect you against illnesses and chronic diseases by naturally boosting your immune system. Exercise can reduce inflammation, which scientists believe negatively impacts your healing ability.
- Improves general mental health – Exercise releases dopamine, serotonin, and other neurotransmitters that effectively reduce symptoms of stress, depression, and anxiety. It can also improve sleep patterns and promote relaxation and general well-being.
Plenty of evidence backs up the importance of senior fitness activities and how they can improve seniors’ lives. Even seniors with limited movement and coordination can start an exercise program to build strength and flexibility.
Discover the Benefits of Staying Fit at Ventana
At Ventana, we understand the importance of seniors staying active and have programs for adults of all activity levels. To keep you active, we have an indoor gym, a large pool, and a full-time team that can help you create a workout routine.