Physical health in seniors can mean the difference between having a fulfilling retirement and one filled with health complications. Senior adults who remain physically active experience fewer falls, aches, and pains and require less assistance with daily living activities. Among the many benefits of joining a senior living community are exercise programs, nutritious meal plans, and services to keep seniors active and healthy.
At Ventana, we welcome seniors of all activity levels to our luxury senior living community in the heart of Dallas, TX. Our VentanaFIT program promotes health, happiness, and strength. We also offer wellness programs, on-demand exercise programs, and daily group fitness classes for seniors.
Activities to Improve Physical Health in Seniors
Living a physically active life is important for people at any age but especially for senior adults who don’t get as much exercise as they used to. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), a lack of physical exercise can increase the risk of heart disease, type II diabetes, several cancers, and obesity.
A regular exercise routine is very important for seniors’ mental and physical health. Plus, it provides socializing opportunities and chances to form new relationships.
Healthy activities seniors can do to improve their strength and balance include:
- Tai chi
- Water aerobics
- Chair yoga
- Resistance band workouts
- Lifting weights
At Ventana, we understand the importance of physical health in seniors and provide our residents with several exercise programs that use state-of-the-art exercise equipment. We work with each senior’s activity level to create an effective exercise program that improves their strength, endurance, and balance.
10 Important Benefits of Physical Health
Seniors who lead an active lifestyle experience fewer health complications and can care for themselves much longer than those who lead sedentary lives. Even taking a daily 10-15 minute walk with friends can greatly improve your health and make getting up and around much easier.
Here are ten reasons why physical health for seniors is so important:
- Seniors will benefit from regular exercise by increasing their overall health and well-being.
- Seniors who exercise regularly will easily manage their weight and keep their muscles lean and healthy.
- Working out increases bone strength, decreasing the risk of broken bones due to a fall.
- Exercise programs like swimming, jogging, and bike riding increase heart rate and improve cardiovascular health.
- Regular exercise promotes better mental health and improves concentration and focus.
- Exercise can reduce the risks of falls by improving balance, muscle strength, and elasticity.
- An active lifestyle improves sleep patterns and helps seniors get more restful sleep.
- Aerobic exercise is beneficial in reducing blood pressure, stress, and the risk of other medical complications.
- Exercising with friends increases social activity, which is very important for seniors’ mental health.
- A regular workout plan will increase seniors’ energy levels and allow them to do more during the day without getting tired or sore.
Knowing the importance of physical health in seniors can help you or your parents make the most of retirement. It is never too late to start an exercise program, and seniors will find several physical and mental benefits of regular exercise.
Improve Your Physical Health in Our VentanaFIT Program
At Ventana, our luxury senior living community offers some beneficial services and amenities for seniors looking for a new home to enjoy their golden years. We teach our residents the importance of physical health in seniors and help them find the best exercise programs to improve their overall well-being. We also have many other healthy amenities, including nutritious meal plans, a rooftop garden to enjoy the sunshine, and a modern wellness center. Our community also features an on-site rehab center, heated indoor pool, salon, and spa.