Summer is coming, and most people are ready to get out and enjoy the sun after all the cold weather. Older folks can benefit from staying active and making the most of their free time. Summertime can be a great time to try something new, make friends, or have fun with the family. Older adults’ mental and physical health need to engage in fun activities and summer offers many options for community events for seniors.
Learn more about summer activities for seniors, tips for staying active, and how Ventana by Buckner can help by calling us today to 214.225.6197.
The Importance of Staying Active as a Senior
Getting out and being active is vital at any age, but there are many additional benefits for seniors. Seniors who stay active can:
- Improve their mood
- Reduce aches and pains
- Prevent anxiety and depression
- Keep their brains in great shape
- Reduce their risk of heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes, and even some types of cancer
- Recover more quickly from injuries, illnesses, or surgeries
Hot Senior Summer: Activities for Having Fun in the Sun
Summer fun isn’t just for young people – there are many ways to enjoy the season for older folks. Summer is the perfect time to try something new, or return to an activity you previously enjoyed but haven’t had time for. If you are looking for ideas, here are some activities for seniors in the summer:
- Join a nature club – Walking, climbing, bird watching, and photography is fun all on their own, but joining a club or getting friends together to enjoy the beauty of nature is a fantastic way to spend time this summer.
- Take a trip – From a quick day trip to a long cruise, many summer trips can help you make great memories. Some are even geared towards retired people if you want to meet new faces.
- Try a new exercise or sport – Exercising in the summer combines the best of both worlds. Not only is exercise vital to maintaining health, but it is also fun. Yoga, golf, tai chi, or even ‘sittercize’ can provide a health benefit with a social component for good measure.
- Check out what your community has to offer – Many community activities occur in the summer. Look up your local parks department website or peruse the bulletin board at your church to find new and interesting events to try.
Tips to Help You Get the Most Out of Summer Fun
When enjoying summertime activities, it’s important to stay safe and healthy. Here are a few tips to remember:
- Remember to apply sunscreen and wear a wide-brimmed hat if you are outside. Sunburn can put a real damper on things, and older adults are also at a higher risk of skin cancers.
- Stay hydrated. Carry a water bottle with you, or stop frequently for water breaks. Your body loses water more quickly in the heat, so you must drink more to compensate for it.
- Know your limits and don’t overdo things. No one wants to end up sick or injured, so don’t push yourself to do more than seems reasonable. If you are feeling tired or achy, take a break.
Discover a Community of Active Seniors in Dallas at Ventana
Our senior living community members in Dallas, TX know that senior living can be amazing. We are committed to supporting each of our members to be happy, healthy, and engaged, no matter what level of support they need. If you or someone you love is considering senior living, we encourage you to contact us today at 214.225.6197 or online.