Starting the search for a senior living community can be challenging. There are many options, and the terminology might confuse those unfamiliar. Taking time to learn more about senior living services in Texas, assisted living amenities, and what is available living in Dallas can help you make informed decisions for yourself or your loved one.
Many people think that “senior living” means “nursing home” but these days, there are plenty of communities that offer a lifestyle for seniors that is supportive as well as fun. Ventana by Buckner is one of those communities. Call 214.225.6197 today to learn more about our luxurious, home-like senior living options and how we can help you live a gratifying life during your golden years.
Senior Living: What Options Are Available?
Understanding the terminology is one of the most confusing aspects of searching for senior living communities. What is the difference between assisted and independent living? What is skilled nursing care? What does memory care entail? What is a continuing care community? Here’s what to expect from senior living in Texas.
- Assisted vs. Independent Living – These communities are an excellent choice for seniors who don’t need lots of help or only need a little help. Independent living means that members have their residences, while still being able to access all the activities and amenities offered by the community. Assisted living offers some help with daily living tasks such as cleaning, but offers a largely independent lifestyle.
- Skilled Nursing Care – This type of care is for members who have medical needs or require more assistance to manage their health. Sometimes, members only use this aspect of care temporarily if they are recovering from surgery or injury.
- Memory Care – When a member is experiencing dementia, they can often require specialized care. Memory care provides a secure environment with staff who have been trained to care for people with memory issues.
- Continuing Care Communities – This relatively new type of senior community offers a mix of the above, allowing members to access services and care as needed without transferring to different communities. This can take much of the stress out of the inevitable changes. It can also allow people whose spouses require a different level of care to reside in the same community rather than being separated.
Assisted Living: Needs, Amenities, and Services
When searching for a senior living community, it is important to sit down and assess your family’s needs, likes, and dislikes. This process can be challenging but will help you narrow down the list of options. Here are some tips for deciding what will be on your must-haves list:
- What medical or daily living needs do you have right now? Are those likely to change over time?
- Is living in a pet-friendly community important to you? What do you need to live comfortably and happily?
- Activities and amenities are a big part of making senior living great. Does the community offer events and groups that interest you?
- Just like purchasing a home, location is everything. Is the community near the people and places that you visit frequently?
Ventana: A Community of Active and Vibrant Seniors in Dallas, Texas
At Ventana, our members have access to various services and amenities. As a continuing care community, we are committed to supporting our members to be active, healthy, and live their best lives at every level of care. If you or someone you care about has been considering moving to senior living, we encourage you to contact us at 214.225.6197 today or complete our web form and schedule a visit. Let us show you how wonderful senior living can be.