When it comes to senior care, there is a lot to consider. The options can seem overwhelming, from facilities offering independent living and memory care to skilled nursing and assisted living services. To help you make an informed decision about the best living situation for your loved one, call 844.785.0871 to speak with someone from Ventana’s knowledgeable and compassionate team. Ask about skilled nursing vs. assisted living and our rehabilitation services for seniors.
What Is Skilled Nursing Care?
Skilled nursing is specialized medical care that provides short-term relief or rehabilitation for individuals suffering from an illness, injury, or disability.
Skilled Nursing Care Services
Services that are typically part of skilled nursing care include the following:
- Medication administration
- Nutritional counseling
- Occupational therapy
- Physical therapy
- Speech pathology
This type of care typically involves the assistance of experienced healthcare professionals such as nurses, physical therapists, and occupational therapists who will help address a member’s medical and functional needs.
Benefits of Skilled Nursing Care
Access to skilled nursing care comes with the following advantages:
- High-level medical care – Skilled nursing offers people access to high-level medical care with 24/7 oversight by licensed healthcare professionals who can monitor changes in each member’s condition and provide timely interventions when needed.
- Short-term relief – Skilled nursing provides short-term relief from illnesses or injuries that would otherwise be difficult to manage without professional assistance. In addition, it allows them to rest and recover in a safe environment until they can return home or transfer elsewhere for long-
- Comprehensive rehabilitation services – Skilled nursing facilities offer comprehensive rehabilitation services designed to help people regain their independence and improve their quality of life after an illness or injury. Depending on each individual’s unique needs and goals, these services may include physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy, therapeutic recreation, and more.
Some senior living communities have skilled nursing facilities where members stay until they no longer need these advantages. Members are transferred to long-term care or assisted living facilities when that happens.
What Is Assisted Living?
Assisted living refers to housing facilities that provide support services for seniors who require help with their day-to-day activities but do not need 24/7 medical supervision like those in skilled nursing facilities do.
Assisted Living Services
Services for members in assisted living facilities or communities may include the following:
- Dining services
- Housekeeping assistance
- Medication reminders
- Transportation arrangements
Services like this can help seniors to live independently, even though they need help with medications and activities of daily living (ADLs)—such as bathing, grooming, eating, dressing, and going to the bathroom.
Benefits of Assisted Living Services
The primary benefit of assisted living services is the independence it gives older adults. Other benefits include the following:
- Aging in place – One of the most significant benefits of assisted living is that it allows seniors to age in place while still receiving much needed support from staff members trained in caring for older adults. This helps them remain independent longer while still having access to assistance when needed without having to move into a different setting, such as a skilled nursing facility or long-term care center. This move could be financially costly for some families and emotionally taxing for their loved ones making this transition so suddenly.
- Socialization opportunities – Another benefit of assisted living is its ability to provide socialization opportunities through scheduled activities such as game nights, movie nights, or group outings that foster meaningful connections between members while helping keep them physically and mentally active.
- Safety measures – Assisted living facilities also provide safety measures such as secure entryways, smoke detectors, fire suppression systems, and 24/7 security monitoring systems. All these measures help ensure that members remain safe from harm while enjoying all the amenities available within these communities.
At Ventana’s senior living community, amenities include a full-service barber and beauty salon, a pool and spa, a fitness center, a game room, a library, and more.
Find Senior Care in Texas at Ventana
Ventana aims to provide quality senior care tailored to each member’s needs. Contact Ventana today at 844.785.0871 to learn more about our senior care services and our senior living community in Texas.