Regular exercise is good for you, no matter your age. However, for seniors, regular exercise can benefit all areas of life. There are many serious reasons to exercise for seniors, but there are also fun ones. Living the active senior lifestyle can let you or your loved one enjoy life the way you deserve to enjoy it. Senior communities frequently offer programs—including the VentanaFit program for members of Ventana in Dallas, Texas. Programs like these can mix wellness and fun with friends, promoting an active and healthy lifestyle.
Benefits of an Active Senior Lifestyle
There are many benefits to staying active. Some of these are:
- Staying strong – Exercise can help you or your loved one stay in good condition. This has advantages, such as making it easier to recover from illness, surgery, or injury. Staying strong can also help seniors maintain their independence for as long as possible.
- Being energetic – For seniors, having a good amount of energy enhances the enjoyment of life. Doing things with the grandkids, getting out and about with friends, and participating at church or in a club are all things that make life fun, and energy helps you do them.
- Keep chronic conditions from holding you back – Many older folks are dealing with conditions like high blood pressure, diabetes, and heart problems. Exercising regularly can help keep those conditions at bay and reduce their impact on daily life.
- Healthy body, healthy mind – Exercise helps keep the body in top shape and can also help combat depression, anxiety, and dementia.
Despite these benefits of an active senior lifestyle, taking things a little easier as you get older can be tempting. Many seniors have worked hard throughout their lives, and health issues can also be part of what holds them back from taking up an exercise practice.
Motivating Exercise Tips for Seniors
Sometimes exercising can be fun, but everyone needs a little extra encouragement to keep it up. Here are some tips to help you or your loved one stay with your exercise practice:
- Find an exercise buddy – Everything is more fun when you have someone to do it with. An exercise partner can also help you keep each other accountable and stay motivated.
- Mix it up – Don’t just do the same workouts. Try various exercises from the four types: endurance, strength, balance, and flexibility. This keeps things exciting and ensures that your body and mind are getting what they need.
- Track your progress – Looking back and seeing how far you’ve come can feel good. It can be surprising sometimes when you realize how much progress you have made. If you are old school, try a little pocket journal where you record your daily exercise. If you’re a tech lover, try out an app for your smartphone or even a smartwatch.
- Don’t give up – Everyone has days when they don’t feel like exercising, or life gets in the way. It’s okay to take breaks sometimes as long as you try again.
Apart from following these exercise tips for seniors, you or an older loved one can also look for programs in senior living communities that can help motivate you—such as our VentanaFit program.
Maintain an Active Lifestyle and Get Exercise Tips for Seniors in Texas at Ventana
At our luxury senior living community in Dallas, Texas, our members enjoy access to the VentanaFit program. This innovative program provides members personalized exercises, advice from trainers, and lifestyle coaching to keep you or your loved one in great shape and to enjoy life. If you or someone you care about has been thinking about what life in a senior living community might be like, contact Ventana today at 844.785.0871 and let us show you.