Are you or a loved one considering different options for retirement, including senior living communities? If so, you might be familiar with the terms “aging in place” and “Continuing Care Retirement Community (CCRC)”—but you might be unsure which option is the right fit for you or your family.
In this article, we’ll cover what aging in place entails, including some of the setbacks that can occur when people choose this option. We’ll also look at what a CCRC is, and why moving to this special type of senior living community is a preferred option among seniors who are entering retirement.
We’ll examine how living at a Continuing Care Retirement Community can help you combat some of the issues older adults often experience when they choose to age in place—and we’ll review how CCRCs and Life Care Communities like Ventana provide them with a stress-free lifestyle, complete with a comprehensive range of hospitality services and exciting amenities for all interests.
The Realities of Aging in Place
Aging in place means staying in your current home as you grow older, and choosing to remain there as you confront any illnesses or physical limitations that may arise in the years ahead.
It’s understandable why people sometimes choose this path—it’s the setting they’re familiar with, and it doesn’t involve moving somewhere else—but those who decide to age in place don’t always have an easy road ahead. On the contrary, there are several downsides to aging at home.
For one thing, aging in place can be tough because it makes planning for the future much more difficult. When you age at home, you never know how or when your needs, or your partner’s needs, might change. If you or your partner need Assisted Living or Assisted Care—whether it’s in-home care, medical assistance, or home modifications—that can get very expensive, very fast.
If you live alone, aging in place can heighten feelings of isolation, and it can increase the risks of serious injury. Additionally, it places more of a burden on you to maintain your home, cook your own meals and find methods of transportation when you leave the house; all of which may become harder as you age.
Lastly, there are costs associated with aging in place as well. It may feel like the cheaper alternative compared to moving to a senior living community, but in the long run, there’s a good chance that a CCRC is actually financially beneficial, because CCRCs like Ventana defray the costs of healthcare, home repairs and other expenses associated with aging in place.
Life at a Continuing Care Retirement Community (CCRC)
Living at a CCRC or a Life Care Community, such as Ventana, means living in luxury and comfort as you age. It means having a residence maintained by the community where you live—a community filled with friendly, like-minded neighbors who are active and eager to foster a positive, healthy lifestyle for all. It means benefitting from amenities and services that make each day exciting, fulfilling and fresh.
It also means having a full continuum of care available to you or your partner, should your health needs change.
Here are some of the benefits of choosing a Life Care CCRC like Ventana, compared to aging in place:
- Despite moving away from home, you’ll still have a voice in designing your new home—a luxury apartment you can customize to make it all your own.
- You won’t need to worry about home maintenance, repairs and housekeeping; these are all included in your pre-established living costs, so you can enjoy a maintenance-free lifestyle without any surprise bills or tedious chores.
- You’ll take advantage of the community’s transportation options—such as Ventana’s scheduled, local transportation and valet parking—so you can attend nearby events and explore the community’s surrounding areas.
- You’ll build wonderful new relationships by interacting with your neighbors, and keep yourself engaged in the community by participating in educational classes, hobbies and other recreational activities.
- You’ll be able to stay as physically active as you’d like, thanks to on-site wellness, health, and exercise facilities—like Ventana’s modern wellness center, fully-equipped fitness center, on-site rehab center, heated indoor pool and salon and spa.
- You’ll benefit from the aforementioned Continuum of Care, so you can feel at ease knowing that whatever happens to you or your partner, you’ll receive the exceptional care that you need—and you won’t have to worry about out-of-control healthcare costs.
Aging as Part of a Community at Ventana by Buckner
Every person is different, and for some seniors, aging in place may make sense. But for many, the substantial benefits of moving to a CCRC make it the right decision.
If you live in the Dallas/Fort Worth area (or elsewhere), you can find the senior lifestyle you’re looking for at Ventana. At Ventana, you’ll be able to age the way you want—in maintenance-free comfort, with a comprehensive range of hospitality services, and amenities and activities for all your interests.
To learn more about Dallas’ premier senior living community, call Ventana today at 214-234-1035.