Did you know nearly 87% of seniors take at least one prescription drug and over 36% take five or more different drugs? These statistics bring to light the importance of medication management for seniors. Finding a way to simplify the process of managing medication for your loved one is important, especially if they live alone. The goal is to find a method that works for your loved one and encourages them to take their prescriptions at the right time and in the right dosages.
How to Create a Medication Management Chart
One of the best ways to help your loved one manage their daily medication is with a chart. Various kinds of charts are available online for free, or you can easily make your own. Medication management charts can give your loved one a visible reminder to take medication and track their doses. This ensures they won’t skip medication or accidentally take it twice. All medication management charts should include:
- Medicine name
- Time of dose
- Dosage amount
- Time of next dose
- Drug interactions
Including simple check boxes will allow your loved one to manage their medication independently and stay on top of their health.
Tips for Senior Medication Management
While a medication chart is a great way to help your loved one every day, there are some other ways you can help them organize their medications and stay on track as well.
- Review Medications with a Physician – One of the most important things before starting a medication regimen is to review all active prescriptions with a primary care doctor.
- Keep Medications Together – Putting all medications in one place will ensure your loved one won’t lose them, forget where they are, or miss a dose.
- Read All OTC Medications – Any over-the-counter medications should be discussed with your loved one’s primary care doctor and taken only as instructed.
- Pre-Sort Medications – Invest in organizers to help your loved one pre-sort medications. Some pill bottles or blister packages are difficult to open, so using a pill organizer will make things easy and stress-free for your loved one.
- Understand Side Effects – Drug interactions and side effects are common. Making note of potential side effects will help you and your loved one better manage their health and symptoms.
- Plan for Refills – Put reminders in your phone or on a medication chart for when to refill prescriptions. Never wait until the last minute as some medications must be ordered by a pharmacy.
Medication management doesn’t have to stress you or your loved one. While it may take some time to get things organized, it’s in the best interest of your loved one to make medication management stress-free.
The Next Generation of Medication Management Comes to Ventana by Buckner
We recently partnered with Advanced Pharmacy Solutions (APS), a leader in automated remote pharmacy dispensing, to help launch their APS Ecosystem. This state-of-the-art technology allows us to quickly provide more accurate medication regimens to all our residents so we can spend more time connecting and building relationships. Each resident receives their medication in individually wrapped packages with their name, medication type, and when it’s supposed to be taken. Our staff no longer has to manually count or sort medications, and it ensures we provide the right dosage to the right person at the right time. Our APS partnership is just one example of how Ventana by Buckner continues to harness the latest technology and senior living advancements to keep our residents safer and more engaged.
Discover Luxury Senior Living at Ventana by Buckner
All aging adults are at different stages of life. At Ventana by Buckner, a Life Plan Community in Dallas, members can enjoy everything retirement has to offer now and for years to come. No matter what level of care is needed, there will be access to it. Our luxury retirement community offers an array of amenities and services to help members thrive without being burdened by activities associated with daily living. Our members enjoy the peace of mind that comes with living a maintenance-free lifestyle. Contact our team today to schedule your personal appointment or schedule your tour here.