Whether it’s due to the chilly temperatures or social distancing to protect from the COVID-19 virus, we’ve been spending more time than normal in our homes. You could rewatch your favorite show again and again, but after a while, days start to drag on. To keep things exciting, we recommend trying a new hobby! Of course, that’s easier said than done. Where do you start? At Ventana by Buckner, we’ve pulled together a list of some of the most common and engaging hobbies for seniors to enjoy indoors.
10 Indoor Hobbies for You to Try
- Embrace Your Inner Artist. Whether this is a beloved hobby or something you’ve been wanting to try for years, now is the time to tap into your creativity and make something beautiful. Popular mediums include painting, dance, photography, poetry, sculpture and music.
- Write Your Family History. Have you ever found yourself sharing your life’s story? Maybe you like to tell stories about your childhood and how you got to where you are now. So, why not write them down? Your family will appreciate having your memories written out for them to cherish for years to come.
- Enjoy a New Recipe. Try experimenting in the kitchen and expanding your cooking and baking abilities. Whether it be a family recipe you’ve been making for years or a more complex dish you’ve always wanted to try, put on your apron and spend some time crafting delicious foods.
- Relax with a Book. There’s nothing quite like immersing yourself into a story. Reading gives you an opportunity to dive into a whole new world where you get to know the characters as if they were your friends. Or, if you’re more interested in non-fiction, you could open your eyes to endless facts you may have never known before.
- Exercise. You can participate in plenty of physical activity while indoors that keeps you moving and living an active lifestyle. If you have access to a gym, try changing up your routine by trying cardio or strength equipment. If you don’t feel like going to the gym, try watching instructional yoga videos online or even walk laps around your home.
- Knit or Crochet. Knitting or crocheting is an enjoyable hobby that keeps your hands and mind occupied throughout the day. You can create colorful scarves and blankets, or try something more complicated like a hat or sweater. If you aren’t interested in keeping your crafts for yourself, consider donating them to a local charity.
- Play Board and Card Games. Not only are board and card games a fun way to pass the time, but they also keep your brain healthy and active. Of course, you can try the classics like Scrabble or Rummy, but don’t hesitate to also try new games like Bananagrams or Ticket to Ride.
- Learn Something New. Have you ever wanted to learn more about the Civil War or speak a new language? Spend some time every day learning something new, either by reading a book or taking an online course. You’ll expand your mind and could even become an expert in something that has piqued your curiosity.
- Grow an Indoor Garden. You don’t need to be outdoors to improve your green thumb! Visit your local nursery and gather the necessary supplies, including pots, seeds and soil. Popular indoor plants include herbs, salad greens and certain flowers.
- Start a Collection. Whether it be stamps, coins, figurines or anything else you enjoy, watching your collection grow is a rewarding experience. While you can of course visit specialty stores and antique malls, there are numerous online opportunities to find items to add to your collection from the comfort of your own home.
Discover Indoor Activities for Seniors at Ventana by Buckner
Where you choose to spend your retirement years should be full of comfort and zest for life. One of the best reasons to move to a luxury retirement community is the array of amenities and services available that make each day exciting, fulfilling, active and engaging. At Ventana by Buckner, our Life Plan Community encourages vibrant days filled with activities and connecting with others. Our thoughtful amenities and services are designed to create a better living experience for all Members. From social programs to an indoor heated pool and more, there are plenty of ways to enjoy your time in the community. Don’t just take our word for it – come see for yourself! Contact our team today to schedule your personal appointment or click this link to schedule your tour.