Leaving home and moving into a senior living community can be daunting. However, there are many benefits to independent living communities for older adults—from socialization to improved physical health—that make them worth exploring. Call 844.785.0871 to speak with someone from Ventana’s knowledgeable and compassionate team about options for senior independent living in Texas, such as independent living communities for older adults.
Types of Senior Living Communities
Senior living communities come in many different shapes and sizes. There are independent living villages or apartment complexes where independent adults can live on their own or share an apartment with another person. Other independent senior living communities offer single-family homes or condos. Some even provide manufactured housing options.
Many senior living communities also offer different types of senior care. Assisted living communities provide personal care and medical assistance, while memory care facilities offer specialized care for those with Alzheimer’s disease or other forms of dementia. Skilled nursing facilities offer 24-hour medical care. Some senior living communities can be combinations of these types and offer independent living to some members and various types of senior care to others.
Independent Living Communities for Older Adults
Independent living communities for older adults, also known as retirement communities or senior living communities, provide housing and services specifically designed for people aged 55 and up. These communities offer an array of amenities, such as:
- Fitness centers
- Housekeeping services
- Nutritious meals
- Social activities
- Transportation services
Some senior living communities also provide on-site medical care. However, not all of them do—if you’re considering a senior care facility, you must ask them what medical assistance they provide to their members.
Benefits of Independent Living for Seniors
The primary benefit of communities like this for seniors is that the various amenities often reassure families of seniors that their loved one is healthy and looked after by professionals even though they’re living independently and away from them. Other benefits include the following:
- Accessibility – Many independent living communities offer accessible apartments with wide doorways, bathroom grab bars, walk-in showers with seating areas, lowered counters in kitchens, etc., making it easier for seniors with mobility issues or disabilities to move around freely within their own homes.
- Healthcare services – Many independent living facilities offer on-site assisted care services, such as physical therapy or nursing, if needed. This means you can rest assured knowing that help is at hand if required.
- Maintenance – With an independent living community like Ventana by your side, you don’t need to worry about maintaining your home’s exterior. We take care of all the landscaping and snow removal free of charge. Plus, all maintenance is taken care of promptly, so you don’t need to deal with repairs yourself.
- Safety – Most independent living communities have safety measures such as emergency pull cords or 24-hour staffing so that residents feel secure in their homes. At Ventana, we also offer complimentary scheduled transportation services to ensure our members can access grocery stores, medical appointments, drugstores, churches, banks, and other essential destinations.
- Socialization – Independent living offers seniors a chance to meet new people their age and build relationships, which can lead to a sense of fulfillment and purpose in life and improved physical health.
However, independent living is not for every senior. Sometimes, older loved ones may benefit more from staying at a memory care or an assisted living facility.
Experience the Benefits of Independent Living in Texas at Ventana
Moving into an independent living community can be difficult, but it doesn’t have to be. If you or your older loved one is considering relocating to a senior living community, contact Ventana today at 844.785.0871 to learn more about our senior living services and senior care options in Texas.