Choosing a long-term senior living community can be among the most challenging tasks for older folks and their loved ones. When senior long-term care becomes necessary, many additional stressors often make the process feel overwhelming. However, some resources, tips, and strategies can help seniors and their loved ones sift through options to find a place that meets their needs. A great starting point is to expand your knowledge about senior living to make informed decisions that will benefit you and your family.
If you’re looking for a long-term senior living community in Dallas-Fort Worth, contact Ventana by Buckner today. We can tell you more about our senior living options in Dallas-Fort-Worth and help you or a loved one live your golden years in dignity. Learn more about long-term care for seniors in Dallas-Fort-Worth by calling 214.225.6197 today.
What Kinds of Senior Living Options Are Out There?
Many options for senior care are available, so understanding some of the commonly-used terminology is important. Here are a few of the most common types of senior living options:
- Assisted/Independent Living – This type of senior living community provides help with daily living needs such as cooking and cleaning, but usually offers less medical help. For people who either can’t or don’t want to manage those aspects of their household, but do not have complex medical needs, assisted/independent living can be a good option.
- Nursing Homes/Skilled Nursing Care – These communities are more geared toward members with complex medical needs requiring nursing care or constant monitoring.
- Respite Care: This kind of senior living option is more temporary. People recovering from surgery or an injury often benefit from respite care. Also, when caregivers need a break due to illness, want to take a trip, or need a break, respite care can ensure their loved ones get good care.
- Memory Care: For people living with dementia, memory care is often the safest, most appropriate environment. Even though many families would prefer to keep their loved one with dementia at home, many dangers and risks make memory care a better option. Memory care communities offer a secure, supervised living space that offers families peace of mind about their loved ones.
- Continuing Care Communities – These communities offer some or all of the above types of care, allowing members to transition between types of care, depending on their needs, without moving or transferring to a new community.
How To Find the Right Senior Living Community
Even though there are so many options for senior living, knowing the right questions to ask can help you and your family find the community that will best meet your needs. Here are some tips and resources:
- Take a tour of the community, not just once, but twice. This lets you see how daily staffing, activities, and the general environment change.
- Ask for documentation about staffing and safety. State and federal authorities regularly evaluate and inspect senior living communities, especially those that offer nursing and memory care, and those reports are available to the public.
- Speak with members of the community, both staff and residents. Does everyone seem content and engaged to the best of their ability?
Find a Vibrant Senior Living Community in Dallas at Ventana
Our members enjoy a vibrant and active lifestyle at our senior living community in Dallas, Texas. Each member is supported and encouraged to enjoy life to the fullest. We offer continuing care so that, no matter what the future holds, our members and their families can rest easy knowing that we will provide the appropriate level of care. If you or a loved one has been considering moving to a senior living community, contact us today at 214.225.6197 or online to schedule a visit.