When it comes to physical health for aging adults, balance plays a pivotal role. In fact, falling is one of the leading causes of injury or death for seniors in the U.S.
So, how can seniors improve their balance? Balance exercises. Read our list of the Top 10 balance exercises for seniors that can be done at home, in a senior living community, or at a local senior center.
- Single limb stance – Stand behind a solid chair and hold the back of the chair. Lift your right foot up while balancing on your left. Hold the position as long as you can and then switch legs. Work up to one minute on each side.
- Back and forth – Stand with feet shoulder-width apart. Stand firmly on the ground with eyes forward. Slowly place all your weight on your right foot until the left comes off the ground. Hold that position for up to 30 seconds and then switch sides.
- Leg raises – Hold onto a chair and slowly lift your right leg back. Keep your leg straight and bring it up as high as you can and hold the pose for one second. Repeat up to 15 times on each leg. This can also be done forwards or sideways by raising your leg out in front of you or to the side. Set a chair on your right or left side for support.
- Squats – From a standing position, hold the back of a sturdy chair and slowly perform a squatting motion, going as low as comfortable. You can also perform this by actually sitting down and standing back up. Repeat 10 times.
- Marching in place – Alternate lifting your right and left knees as high into the air as possible. Use a chair to support yourself if needed. Aim to repeat the exercise 20 times on each side.
- Wall pushups – Strength training for your arms is essential to balance. Stand an arm’s length in front of a blank wall. Lean forward with your palms and gently push yourself back off of the wall so your arms are straight. Repeat 20 times if possible.
- Toe lifts – Strengthen your calf muscles by standing behind a chair with feet spread apart. Gently raise yourself up on only your toes and hold the pose for a second. Lower yourself back down and repeat up to 20 times.
- Shoulder rolls and arm circles – From a seated or standing position, gently rotate your shoulders in a circular motion forward and then repeat backward. Raise your arms out at your side and repeat for more of a full-arm workout.
- Hand and finger stretch – Use your fingers to climb a blank wall in front of you until they are above your head. From there, wiggle your fingers for ten seconds and then repeat.
- Foot taps – Using a stair or step stool, lift one foot and tap the step for one second then return to the starting position. Repeat this motion 10 times on each leg.
How can you avoid being one of every three adults over the age of 65 who suffers a fall this year? Balance exercises. When it comes to improving balance for seniors, there are a variety of options. Following these at-home exercises is a great place to start, but to make your physical health more of a priority, you could meet with a physical therapist or take advantage of the unique amenities offered at Ventana by Buckner.
Ventana by Buckner offers strong partnerships that provide first-class amenities for its members. With partners like Cooper Aerobics and dynamic programming such as VentanaFIT, it’s easy for seniors to stay physically active and focus on strengthening their body in a way that promotes health and wellness.
Stay Active at Ventana by Buckner
A continuing care retirement community offering Life Care is an ideal choice if you want to spend your later years in a place full of activity, vibrancy, wellness and enjoyment. Ventana by Buckner is a luxury CCRC in Dallas that will change how you view retirement. Focus on your health and well-being in an environment that supports your goals. Contact our team today to learn more about our CCRC, or click here to schedule a personalized tour.
EXPLORE VENTANA AND WATCH OUR VIRTUAL TOUR VIDEO
Imagine your future in Dallas and Fort Worth's newest upscale senior community! Our virtual tour technology will put you right there. Take this opportunity to explore Ventana inside and out. Enjoy the view!